Online Lesson Requirements and Suggestions
Below is a list of requirements and suggestions when considering online music lessons. Anything with an asterisk (*) is a definite must for getting a working experience. Some of the suggestions are there to help make the most out of your online experience.
- A solid internet connection. A minimum of 2 Mbps upload and download* is necessary for most video conversation apps. Go to https://www.speedtest.net/ to check what you have for internet speed. I highly recommend 10+ Mbps download and 5+ Mbps upload for better quality.
- A webcam and microphone. Most laptops, phones, and tablets have both installed.*
- An audio interface or separate microphone - or both! This will help with sound quality over video calls.
- A reliable device - such as a laptop, computer, phone, tablet, etc.*
- Have Zoom installed.* https://www.zoom.us/ (There are settings that we will have to discuss about background noise filtering. This article is a good read for making sure your microphone picks up the best sound - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115003279466-Enabling-option-to-preserve-original-sound.)